photo abouttab_zps2ec38791.jpg  photo contacttab_zpsb518a2fa.jpg  photo faithtab_zps195e3070.jpg  photo fashiontab_zps0ecc5eb9.jpg  photo foodtab_zpse27fec0c.jpg  photo funtab_zps0caf03e0.jpg  photo life_zps7ec308a3.jpg

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Go.

Go.

The redemption story between God and His people starts with this word. 

12: 1 The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.

2 “I will make you into a great nation,
    and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
    and you will be a blessing.
3 I will bless those who bless you,
    and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
    will be blessed through you.”

So Abram went as the Lord had told him."

That isn't an easy request. God asks Abram to leave all security behind and put his trust in Him. Could you do it? Sometimes, like after a retreat or conference, I think I can. Out in nature with the Lord, just the two of us, is perfect. But amid the hustle and bustle of everyday life the doubt starts to creep in. Leave everything? Surely not all of my books, or my shoes, or my school? Not my friends too? It's a heavy request. 

Yet look what God will give Abram if he follows! A great nation, a great name, blessings, children, and the promise of redemption for the entire human race. Seems like a pretty good deal.

So Abram goes. 

And we are still talking about him today! Abram (later Abraham) becomes the patriarch of the Hebrew people. He recieves a call to greatness and responds. 

Brace yourself... we get the same call. "Go and make disciples of all nations" We have to go! We don't necessarily have to leave everything but we are called to lead others to Christ. It's the same call to greatness. It's also just as scary. What if people don't like me? What if they get mad? What if I offend someone? What if I'm not ready? 

There is an answer for that too! Later in Genesis God says to Jacob, Abraham's grandson (who continues the mission): 

"Know that I am with you; I will protect you wherever you go, and bring you back to this land. I will never leave you until I have done what I promised you" 

We have a helper! We have THE Helper! The Lord is not going to send us somewhere we cannot handle. I love the saying that "The will of God will not send you where the grace of God cannot protect you." So true and so comforting right? The call is scary, there is no doubt about that. But our God is SO MUCH GREATER than our fear. 

Where is He sending you?
Where are you called? 
Are you willing to go??


1 comment: